Traveling and camping with family is definitely one of the best decision you can make as a leisure activity. Although you need to have all the proper tools for a good time. Backpacking tent for family members is one of them.
There are several companies and sizes to choose from depending on your family members and what weather and terrain you are going to camp. We are going to list some of the best family tents for you to choose.
What we considered to choose the best?
- The price of the tent.
- Ease of setup and folding when in field use.
- Design and space inside the tents
- Durability and the materials it is made with.
- The comfort it gives.
There are several other points you need to consider when buying your travel tent, like as warranty, user reviews, and color. Although, we didn’t focus much on color variations of these products, sometimes people tend to take the last decision depending on the color.
Kodiak is not the best in the market, but it sure is a better one than most of the family travel tent present in the current market.The one we have chosen is for 8 people. Definitely a roomy tent and according to user reviews, this has a great positive response when tested in different terrain and weather.
- Made with durable, watertight and breathable cotton duck canvas.
- 6’6″ ceiling height provides walk-around comfortably inside.
- Large D-shaped doors on both side with #10 YKK zippers.
- Four windows with no-see-um mesh.
- Two funnel-flow vents to improve airflow.
- Heavy-duty 12-inch, steel rod frames. Super strong and durable even for stormy weather and snow.
- Super build quality with high-end zipper.
- Lightweight and galvanized steel frame.
- A single person can set it up easily and fold it after use.
- Price is a bit high, but you get what you pay for.
here are several other variations less than this price, but remember the quality of this tent. Once bought this tent can be used for years without any problem. Our users have used it in storm, rain, snow and dusty condition with comfort.
This 8 person tent from Coleman is perfect for a family outing. If you want to compare the inner space, you can accommodate two queen size beds inside the tent.
The product is made in the US, the price is still lower than many other family tents of the same size.
- 150D material
- Made in the USA
- WeatherTec system to keep you dry in rain and windy situation.
- The height is 6 feet 5 inches.
To the frequent campers and tent users, this is pretty easy to set up. Users have claimed to set this up within 2 to 5 minutes with help. We guess it’s better you have another person if you are setting the tent for the first time.
The 150D material as you know is used on tent products which are meant to last longer and have the waterproof capability.
Although, this tent can wear off after uses of years and some of the users reported the zipper on the door side is broken.
The setup and folding are pretty easy for two person, little bit bulky when it is folded due to the materials it is built with.
Still, this is a budget family backpacking tent.
- The price is cheaper.
- Good built quality with 150D waterproof materials.
- Setup and folding are pretty straight.
- Large window and screen to let the light in but the bugs out.
- It might not be waterproof anymore after 2-3 years of regular use.
Overall, if we consider price and usability this is a winner.
When you are traveling a with a big family this tent is a life saver. Ozark Trail can accommodate 10 people in a single tent. The look is pretty traditional and you can divide the inner space into 3 rooms with detachable dividers.
It’s Good if some family members need some privacy. Although don’t look for too much privacy as it is not soundproof :).
Each room has a separate side entrance and there is a middle entrance, in total 3 entrances. A lovely tent with easy to set up style for your whole family.
When not separating the inner room it is 20 ft x 10 ft inside and a 78 inches in height. Large space to easily accommodate ten people together.
Check out the full details of Ozark Trail 10 Person Tent.
If you are a first time the tent setup can take you 20 to 30 minutes, but once you are used to it you can setup it within 6 to 10 mins. It’s easier for two people to set-up the tent.
- Large space inside for family outing.
- Setup is pretty easy when you are used to it.
- The price is good comparing the quality.
- The pockets are useful.
- It’s not waterproof, but water resistant. You need to buy rain fly cover during monsoon season.
Core Dome Tent is also a pretty big tent. The height is 6 feet in the middle with 16 ft x 9 ft inside. It can easily accommodate 3 queen size air mattress inside. That means 9 people can stay inside. Although we think this is a perfect fit for the 6 persons.
The opening door is in the middle with zipper above the ground to prevent the water sipping during rain. The meshed window and ceiling is a great advantage while camping in the warmer season.
- Electrical cord and gear loft with lantern hook.
- Rain fly included.
- Suspended storage area.
- Up to 9 people can sleep inside.
- Takes more than one person to set up.
- Its shape is dome type so the corner areas are low in height.
The tent’s main building material is polyester. Although this is a traditionally styled tent, it looks pretty nice after setup. If you consider the price and the people it can accommodate then this is a winner.
The Sundome Tent is definitely a good choice for a small family outing. It can accommodate four persons easily.
The inside is 9 ft x 7 ft and the height in the middle is around 4 ft 11 inches.
So, this is a good tent for a family with kids. Most adults can’t stand inside the tent due to the low height. The Sundome tent is great for summer outing and camping.
Coleman has always produced high-quality family travel tent. This product is also advertised as having the Coleman WeatherTec system. But, we propose to get a ground sheet for the rainy season.
What you will love about this tent are the price and easy setup. A quality product at a good price.
- Easy to set up.
- Value of money.
- This is not great for cold weather or rainy season.
- Footprint not included you have to buy your own or use a tarp.
There are many things to consider when you are buying a tent. You need to consider the space, the weather and terrain you are going to use it and most probably your budget.
As we have included some of the best in our list, we also know that all features are not needed for everyone. So, when you are buying a tent look for your desired features first. A word of advice from us, don’t look for the price first. Go for the user reviews, you will win in the long run.